Posted on November 26 2021
How to Pipe Holly
Shared from Wilton blog
Dress up your gingerbread house with sweet little bunches of piped holly leaves and berries. Tuck them into a wreath or use them to tie up garland.
Skill level: beginner
- Open Star Cake Decorating Tip 16
- Round Cake Decorating Tip 3
- Pipe leaves using a decorating bag fitted with Tip 16 (or any small star tip). Place the tip just slightly above the surface.
- Squeeze the bag to form a star. Continue squeezing, pulling the tip down and away, decreasing pressure as you reach the desired length of the leaf. Pipe two more leaves.
- Pipe berries using a bag fitted with Tip 3 (or any small round tip). Place the tip slightly above the base of the pull-out stars.
- Squeeze the bag to form a dot. As the icing begins to build up, raise the tip with it while keeping the tip point slightly buried in the icing.
- Stop squeezing and pull the tip up slightly, but not away from the icing. With a circular motion, use the end of the tip to scrape the point on top of the dot. Pipe two more dots to finish.
- For a different look, vary the placement and number of leaves and berries. Pull-out star leaves can also be pulled away in different directions.
- Alternately, use small red candies for berries.